Making compiler design relevant for students

There are a few courses that at first I thought they would never be useful to me or my career, but they always help me develop other skills, not necessarily related to the topic. I still don’t know if I’m going to use the information once I finish school, but they did help me open my mind to other forms of programming or designing software or architectures.


It is interesting the approach that the author has on how it can be a point of interest for students the study on how to make a compiler, i think his words has a certain degree of truth on why normally students do not put as much attention as to other courses, it takes a very specific type of work to be able to apply the knowledge gained in this class to real world problems, but i think with the momentum that artificial intelligence is gaining, and be able to understand natural language through machine, courses like this gain more and more sense. As the author mentions, the knowledge used to make and design a compiler has the goal of being able to translate one language to another one, which is what the natural language analyzers want to do, how can they learn and manage the context of a phrase and sentence and then be able to understand what the speaker meant.


The author mentions four phases on the process of creating a compiler, which also are shared to the phases of the project we are delivering through this course and which at this moment we are creating the first phase. As we are learning of syntax analysis and parsing i finally understand how we are going to make and how other languages, obviously in a more sophisticated way, make and understand the syntax of the language, how they know when it is wrong and right, and when i realized that i was astounded.


I feel eager to learn about the other stages of the compiler design and how each stage will connect with other ones until we get the final product.


I understand the point of view of the author and know I see how this course is relevant to me and why I should be more interest in the topics to be learned throughout the semester

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother of Compilers

Ruby and the Interpreter Pattern